Beautiful Zambian Jazz/Rock LP. Huge Tip!
Sharp-Flat Records presents the long-awaited restoration of The Broadway Quintet’s cult classic Amalume – a hypnotic concoction of traditional Zambian sounds and jazz-rock grooves with a twist of 1970s African psychedelia.
Emerging to serve the entertainment needs of Zambia’s United National Independence Party (UNIP) in the early 1960s, The Broadway Quintet gathered seasoned talent from Lusaka’s best hotel bands to fashion its esteemed lineup. Starting as a quartet and later evolving into a quintet, the group’s career spanned over twenty years as favourites on the cabaret circuit and boasted a myriad of prestigious collaborations.
The Broadway Quintet’s jazz sensibilities set them apart from the rock sound that dominated the music landscape of the 1970s. Yet the formula behind Zamrock, fusing indigenous Zambian sounds with Western pop, shaped their one and only 1976 long-player. Featuring modern arrangements of traditional songs, Amalume blended congas with sax sounds, folk lyrics with electric keyboard shenanigans and show business staples with jazz guitar noodling. With its psychedelic fever dream illustrated cover, it was an explosive package of “originality and electrifying beauty” as the album’s liner notes rightly attested.
Released on the Zambezi label, Amalume joined an exceptional run of mid-1970s offerings alongside WITCH, Ricky Banda and Crossbones. Officially licensed, carefully restored and beautifully reproduced, Zambia’s most requested reissue has finally returned for everybody to enjoy.
- A1. Amalume The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- A2. Kanyange The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- A3. Nifyo Fine The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- A4. Chingoma Uri The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- A5. Change Your Mind The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- B1. Akana Ndiwo The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- B2. Jiye Manguwe The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- B3. Matteo The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- B4. Kayuni The Broadway Quintet 1:30
- B5. Mr. Music Maker The Broadway Quintet 1:30